Emergency shelter worker; Casual/Embossed – North Bay News
Nipissing Halfway House
Emergency Shelter Attendant – Relief/Casual
Nipissing Transition House is a 20-bed shelter dedicated to ending violence against women. Emergency shelter services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Shelter supervision and service delivery on a shift-by-shift basis
• Conduct admissions interviews and assessments
• Provide support and case management to all customers during the shift.
• Work with women to complete initial needs and goal assessments and action plans, as well as help them achieve their goals through support, guidance and problem solving.
• Ensure the safety and security of the shelter and shelter residents.
• Advocate for women’s interests with other community organizations and make appropriate referrals
• Respond to crisis calls, providing appropriate support and referrals
• Perform household chores as needed (meal preparation, cleaning, light maintenance)
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Degree or diploma in a human or social services field with related experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of domestic violence, gender-based violence and its effects on women and children.
• Ability to relate to women and children from diverse backgrounds.
• Excellent counseling and crisis management skills
• Demonstrated ability to be supportive and non-judgmental
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated skills in time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Knowledge of available community resources
• Must provide a clear criminal record check
• This casual position involves shift work, including nights, weekends and holidays
• Bilingualism is considered an asset
• Proof of COVID vaccination
Part-time hours (0-36/week)
Salary: $26.23 per hour
Please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to the Executive Director by email: [email protected]