Notice of trespassing at the occupation of Māhanga Bay in effect tonight

Police issued a trespassing notice to occupants of Māhanga Bay in Wellington.

Police in a statement confirmed that a trespassing notice was issued to occupants at the northern end of the Miramar Peninsula on Tuesday. It would come into force on Wednesday evening.

It was published on behalf of the National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research and Land Information NZ, the two owners of the site.

“The police have made it clear to the occupants that they cannot remain where they are and that we expect them to consider leaving Māhanga Bay in the coming days,” the police said.

READ MORE:
* Intrusion of Parliament: Trevor Mallard withdraws five trespass notices, including that of Winston Peters
* Residents of Mahanga Bay in Wellington say they are here for the long haul
* Mahanga Bay occupation structures demolished by authorities

Occupants claim to have been at the site for a long time, but were only noticed by locals when many more arrived from the remnants of the 23-day occupation around Parliament that ended in early March.

The occupation was not appreciated by residents who complained of threatening behavior and misery – allegations denied by the occupiers who claimed to be peaceful. They did, however, admit to killing a seal and eating it.

The main part of the Māhanga Bay occupation, where the police served a trespassing notice.

Provided

The main part of the Māhanga Bay occupation, where the police served a trespassing notice.

Wednesday’s police statement said they were working with services to ensure support was in place for those leaving Māhanga Bay.

Te Pou Raukawakawa, the occupation’s self-proclaimed rangatira (leader), has previously said he would ignore a trespass notice.

Comments are closed.